TekRADIUS Frequently Asked Questions
- Which operating systems are supported?
Windows Vista+, Windows 2008+ Server. You need to have Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.1 installed.
- Which database systems are supported?
TekRADIUS only supports Microsoft SQL (All editions of Microsoft SQL Servers are supported) database servers. TekRADIUS LT supports SQLite. TekRADIUS LT automatically creates SQLite database at first run.
- What is the function of TekRADIUS.db? Can I use it to store user accounts?
TekRADIUS.db which can be found under application directory stores RADIUS dictionary entries. It is not used for storing users accounts and activity.
- Can I use TekRADIUS to authenticate WLAN users?
Modern Wi-Fi Access Points supports 802.1X-EAP authentication which permits use of an external authenticator like RADIUS. EAP provides authentication transparently to AP. But built-in Windows 802.1X client requires use, PEAP, EAP-TLS or EAP-TTLS. TekRADIUS supports PEAP, EAP-MD5, EAP-MS-CHAPv2, EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, LEAP and EAP-SIM.
- Why active sessions cannot be seen in Active Sessions tab?
Make sure RADIUS accounting is supported by your access server and it's configured. You should also check if RADIUS accounting thread is operational in TekRADIUS by examining event log.
- Can I use TekRADIUS to authenticate SIP endpoints?
Yes. You can authenticate SIP endpoints using TekRADIUS, if your SIP registrar/proxy has RADIUS interface support.
- Is there any limitation on the number of users can be defined on TekRADIUS database?
No, there is no limit on the number of user accounts can be defined.
- Does TekRADIUS use Windows Registry to store its configuration?
No, TekRADIUS does not use Windows Registry to store its configuration data. TekRADIUS uses TekRADIUS.ini to store its configuration which can be found under application directory.
- Do I need Microsoft .NET Framework installed?
TekRADIUS requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1. installed. If you don't have it download and install from Microsoft Downloads.
- I am having problem adding a value for the TLS-Server-Certificate attribute. The value field does not seem to be editable.
Certificates must be installed in Windows Certificate Store / Local Machine. Please examine the document at ssssl.pdf.
- What are the differences between free and commercial editions of TekRADIUS?
TekRADIUS Enterprise supports EAP-TLS, EAP-TTLS, EAP-SIM, LEAP, Dynamic Self Signed Certificate Creation for PEAP Sessions, NTLM authentication for MS-CHAP authentication methods, Regular Expression based attribute matching, OTP (One Time Pasword, RFC 2289) authentication. TekRADIUS SP supports VoIP Billing, Alphanumeric RADIUS client entry, IPv6 clients, TLS transport, Sending Packet of Disconnect (PoD) or executing user defined session kill command when a user consumes all credit plus TekRADIUS Enterprise features..
- I cannot get any report from Reporting. What is wrong?
You need configure your access server to send RADIUS accounting packets to TekRADIUS.
- Manager GUI runs very slowly?
Some anti virus systems may affect performance of the GUI application, try to add an exception for the GUI application and try again.
- I cannot find TekRADIUS SP in downloads?
SP editions features are enabled with a registration key. You can either purchase one through KaplanSoft WebStore or request a trial key.
- How can I increase TekRADIUS performance?
Here are some tips for increasing TekRADIUS performance;
Increase memory as much as you can if the SQL server is running on the same machine.
Latest versions add a filed named tracid and an index for it to Accounting table in order to speed up Accounting functions. Please check if they exist.
Rebuild indexes after purging old accounting records in Accounting table.
Disable unused vendor dictionaries in TekRADIUS Manager / Dictionary.
Lower logging level to Error at settings / service parameters. .